Sunday, January 22, 2006

America's Funniest Home Videos

So, back when I was racing, but before the Wall, I bought a helmet camera so I could make videos of my races. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I never used it before I stopped racing, so it sat in the garage since then.

Took it out today dirt riding, which, as Keith pointed out, made it a virtual certainty that I was going to crash. We were supposed to meet Ash at Metcalf at 9AM, but my bike had a bit of "deferred maintenence" so we didn't show up until 9:30. We caught Ash on the way down; apparently he had done one lap, decided it was too slippery, and packed up his bike.

Adam and I started up the bikes (and the camera), did a few laps around the TT track, then headed over to the GP track. The road up to the GP track was a bit slippery, but nothing too bad. Most of the track itself was OK, but there was one spot with a deep mud puddle, and two or three tire-width tracks through it. I got through the mud fine the first time, but the second time round my tire went off slightly, and the front wheel washed out and dumped me off the bike. It happens pretty quick on the video, one second I'm riding along, happy as a clam, then there's a quick shot of the sky and the camera is staring at my boots. Whee.

I'm going to try and upload our clips to Google Video (with soundtrack, no sound on the video) after I manage to find the correct connectors and cables to pull it off the camera.

No comments: